Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Gettysburg to Lima, Ohio

We left Gettysburg on June 30th at 8:30 which was way too late. It was sunny and quite nice along Route 30, the Lincoln Highway. We hd some mixed advice on whether to take
Route 30 through Pittsburg or go around it. Well, we chose the latter which was a big mistake. We headed south and picked up the Penna Turnpike just as it started to rain. The pike travel is quick and in the rain with lots of trucks, not at all pleasant.
As I was checking the GPS it looked like we were getting further and further away from our destination, Canton, Ohio. While on the pike, after gassing up, Mark called me on the CB to advise his bike was dying. Fortunately, we were on a downhilll with an exit approaching so he was able to coast off and get safely off the highway. Well, we were both wet, and tired. I was trying to fiddle with the GPS to see how we could get somewhere to hole up. We were spent. Finally finding Route 51 North, we headed for Pittsburgh- exactly what I was trying to avoid!!!!
We found a Hampton Inn and checked in. Neither of us in a pleasant mood. Supper was a great success, however. Did you know that the Dominos garden salad is pretty darn good. Had a few chicken wings and salad while Mark had Pizza....again.

Pennsylvania was nice and hilly for a good part of the ride, and quite scenic but pretty depressed. Due to weather and what not, my impression this day wasn't great.

This morning I was up at 5:20 and able to get the bikes packed, down a cup of coffee, shave shower and shampoo. We were on the road at 7AM, taking 51 to 279 and around Pittsburgh. When we picke up Route 30 it was four-laner again. It became a nice two-laner towards the end of Pennsylvania and continued as such for a while. We were in Lisbon, Ohio for breakfast at Colleens by 9AM Lisbon is a very nice, friendly town just over the border from WestVirginia. Yup, we were in West Virginia for about 20 miles.

From Lisbon we stayed on Route 30, which will be our main road all the way to Wyoming. In many places it is now interstate four-laner, which explains why we made such good time today.

Ohio has been pretty flat with lots of big farms and corn. Perhaps because we are not going through any urban areas, it seems quite prosperous. I've seen exits for cities that have been devastated by the current economy and auto industry.

We had lunch today at a McDonalds in Galion, OH, about 90 miles from our evening destination. A guy came in and started talking to us about riding. He had done quite a bit with some of his buddies and may go to New England and Nova Scotia next summer. Turns out he owns the restaurant!

Mark is becoming a very proficient rider and the CBs are a godsend. They are working okay, but the range is very limited. When I get back I want to go over it with J&M. Part of the problem, I think, is Mark's 2-foot antennae. I just don't think it is tall enough. We're still playing with squelch and volume, but they are doing what we need them to do.

Not many photos today and I seem to have problems loading them up. I'll try to load some photos on to the blog when I get some real time.

That's it for now. Keep watching.

2 comments:

  1. Penn is extremely depressing. Move on....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Craig and Mark - and Martha....and Ian now!:-)

    I am finally getting a chance to read up on your travels. Sitting here at sunrise in Beantown (beautiful warm morning...actually feels liek summer again:-) with a big cup a Joe and going to catch up with the whole trip to date!

    I'll write more later once I have read what you've been up to.

    Big hi and a hug to all of you from Sam and me!
    Love

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete